Sports and Social
Our guide for information about the clubs and how you can get involved.
We are greatful to our friends at Pride Sports and Team Manchester for their help and information! You can read the current Pride Sports' Out & Active Magazine here
View the groups and sports club by meeting day:
- Manchester Lesbian & Gay Chorus @ We meet in Manchester Town Hall, 7-9.30pm.
- A medal winning choir, the LG Chorus is a large friendly group with a professional coach/conductor and an impressive track record. For more information on this weekly rehearsal, visit www.mlgc.org.uk.
- times: 7pm - 9pm.
- Monthly Marlins Swim Group @ Levenshulme Health & Fitness Centre
- Marlin is a monthly recreational swimming group for all trans people (MTF and FTM). They have exclusive use of the pool, changing rooms are individual cubicles, and you can wear what you like – as long as it’s safe to swim in and won’t run in the water!
- times: 7.30pm - 9.30pm. door tax: See club web site for details
- As an outdoor pursuits group, each month we run a wide range of activities: from camping, hostelling, hillwalking and indoor climbing, to the more extreme activities like gorge scrambling, ice climbing, technical mountain biking and many more. There's something for everyone, no matter what your interest.
- Northern Wave Swimming Club @ Moss Side Leisure Centre
- One of the largest and most successful LGBT swimming and water polo clubs in Europe. For all levels of ability, from beginners and improvers through to masters. A friendly bunch with regular social events, great coaching, overseas trips and a nice atmosphere. The sky's the limit! www.northernwave.org
- times: 8pm - 10pm. door tax: £2.50 - £3.50. £1 concession for unwaged and full time students.
- Manchester Prairie Dogs @ The Thompsons Arms
- Manchester Prairie Dogs Line Dance Club was established over 11 years ago. The clubs membership is drawn mainly, but not exclusively, from the Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual and Trans community, but membership is open to all - regardless of sexual orientation, ethnic origin, age or gender.
The club provides weekly line dance sessions and organises a range of social activities. Tonight, they meet at the Thompsons Arms.
- times: 7.30pm - 10.30pm. door tax: £4 guests / £3 members. First visit free!
- Northern Flight Badminton @ George Carnall Leisure Centre
- A successful competitive badminton group for gay men, that meets weekly.
- times: 8pm - 10pm. door tax: £5 per session
- Ghap Badminton @ Manchester Leisure Sports Development Centre
- This group is for people who like to play badminton for pleasure rather than for competition. A great bunch of people and a friendly atmosphere.
- times: 6pm - 10pm. door tax: £2 for one hour £4 for two hours
- Open Athletics Middle Distance Sprints - Manchester Frontrunners @ Trafford Athletics Stadium
- A night on the running track with Anna, aimed at a wide range of abilities. Fun in the floodlights. The venue is set in the very beatiful, Longford Park. Turn up and try it. visit www.openathletics.org
- times: 6.30pm - 8pm. door tax: annual membership
- Manchester Stingers FC @ Trinity High School
- A very successful and highly competitive footy club, where the women are made of stainless steel and shine like stars! If you think you can hack it, go and try it out. The Stingers are in the North West Women's League, Division 1. For more information email email@example.com, or visit www.manchesterstingers.net.
- times: 6.45pm - 8.30pm. door tax: £4
- Ballroom Dancing @ Trinity Church of England School Ballroom
- A great teacher, Angela, and a very swish and dedicated group of talented (getting there!) dancers. This is for both experienced dancers and complete beginners. If you have two left feet, get an upgrade! This is just the start.. watch out Eurogames!
New term starts Wed 3 September. For more more information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- times: 8pm beginners & 9pm improvers door tax: £6 per session
- Village Spartans RUFC @ Old Salians Rugby Club
- Whether you're a seasoned player or interested in starting to play, an old hand or a new supporter, you'll be welcome during the Wednesday night sessions.
Just turn up and make yourself known!
- times: 7pm - 9pm.
- Northern Rebound Squash Club @ Sports City
- There is no need to book - you can just turn up on the night. We welcome all abilities - from absolute beginners to league players. The aim of the group is to provide a friendly environment where we can all learn and improve our games.
Visit their Website
- times: 6pm - 8pm.
There are changing and shower facilities at the Sports Centre who charge £1.50 and you'll need 20p for the lockers (remember to get a token first!).
After the run, we head round the corner to Kro2 for drinks and food.
- Village Manchester Football Club VMFC @ Albert Park, Salford
- Formed in 1996, we are a Gay Men's football club with ambition and commitment in providing all players and supporters with a competitive, yet fun approach to the beautiful game. We meet up every week for training & compete in local & national leagues and international tournaments. Training takes place every Thursday 8pm till 9.30pm at Albert Park, Broughton. All details and directions can be found on our website www.vmfc.co.uk
- times: 8pm - 9.30pm. door tax: For more info get in touch via web site
- Northern Jump Volleyball @ Sugden Sports Centre
- A friendly LGBT volleyball group for men and women. The club aims to form a competitive team. Regular sessions will be supplemented by additional sessions in local parks in the summer. Players of all abilities and experience welcome. For more information, visit www.northernjump.org.uk or e-mail email@example.com.
- times: 8.30 - 10.30pm pm weekly door tax: £5 first session free
- Manchester Sharks Water Polo Club @ Miles Platting Pools and Fitness Centre
- Manchester's top LGB water polo team. Internationally renowned and a great bunch of people. Lots of training opportunities and now in the water polo league. As a Northern Wave club there are plenty of swim training opportunities to be had. If you can tread water for more than a minute, swim reasonably confidently and want to play water polo, then The Sharks would love to meet you. Try it out - the sooner you start the better!
- times: 7pm - 8.30am. door tax: £3.50
Visit their Website
- Running with Manchester Frontrunners @ Trafford Athletics Stadium
- We run around the Chorlton/Sale Water parks in the nature reserve. Following the River Mersey, this is a great way to start a weekend, or recover from a Friday night! Run at your own pace and for as far as you like! Usual route is c.10k but happy to suggest alternatives based on your ability. Just let one of the members on the day know how far you want to go.
The run is followed by (our now classic) breakfast at the Lead Station, 99 Beech Road, Chorlton, Manchester M21 9EQ (Map)
PLEASE NOTE: Our Saturday run is the quieter of the two weekly sessions. If you are new to the club, please email us to let us know you are coming so we can make sure we look out for you.
- times: we set off at 10am door tax: Annual membership fee £12
The registration and pay desk is downstairs, next to the pool. You'll be welcomed.
Registration and pay desk is downstairs, next to the pool. You'll be welcomed.
- Monthly Sunday Walk Out @ Manchester Students Union & Academy (Pride Games 2009)
- This is an easy-going LGBT group looking to welcome new weatherproof walkers. The group was born out of The University of Manchester LGBT staff network but now includes friends and partners. Every last Sunday of the month head for the hills and reward yourselves with a picnic or late pub lunch for a 10-12 mile walk. Trips by train or shared cars have in the past included the Peak District, the Lakes, the Ribble valley, North Wales and the Yorkshire Dales. The routes don't (normally) involve too strenuous scrambling or rock-climbing and you won't need any special equipment other than solid walking boots and waterproof layers. If you are interested or would like to know more, please contact:
- times: Meeting point and destination by arrangement with group
- Village Bakers
- We are a group of Manchester Based Gay Bakers with the aim to Bake Cake and Eat Cake with friends, in Manchester's Gay Village..
Village bakers is small social group for like minded people to bake fabulous food, come together and socialise in an informal, unpretentious surroundings.
- For more information about our group. https://www.facebook.com/VillageBakers
Canal-st.co.uk latest news
- New Union Xmas
- Pride House for Manchester
- Canal St App
- Elaine Paige farewell tour
- Pride Protest
- Cruz Xmas dates
- Vanilla Xmas lineup
- Xmas at Belindas
- World Class for Manchester Cars
- Shape the future of Pride
- Loved by you awards
- LGBT Youth NW event
- Jackie Kay at Contact
- G-A-Y switch on
- read the Canal-st archive...